Educational system

There are many different ways of studying in Japan. Regardless of the course you choose, from Japanese-language training to postgraduate studies, you will come in touch with Japanese culture and lifestyles will prove to be an invaluable experience for you. Foreign students can enroll in one of five types of institutions of higher learning:

Universities (undergraduate courses)

There are about 700 universities in Japan, including national, public and private ones. The length of study in an undergraduate university is four years with the exception of medicine, dentistry and veterinary science department, which require six years of study.

Graduate schools

The length of study in a graduate school depends on whether you are matriculated in a master's program or doctor's program. Master's program: lasts for two years. Doctor's program: lasts for five years.

Junior colleges

The length of study is two years or three years depending on the department. The majority of department are those related to home economics, humanities, education and sociology.

Special training colleges (post-secondary courses)

Special training schools that offer post secondary courses are called special training colleges. Such schools are positioned as higher educational institutions in Japan. They provide vocational education as well as education in the skills, technology and knowledge needed in life. The length of study is one year or more, but most courses are two years in length.

Colleges of technology

Colleges of technology provide junior high school graduates with five years (five and a half years for merchant shipping courses) of education. There are about 60 colleges of technology in Japan. They offer courses related to engineering, merchant shipping as well as other fields.

Contact Us